Friday, May 24, 2019

Home

A couple of years ago we bought a house on two acres in north Florida. We're from Ohio. We know many of the plants in Ohio but we are still learning the plants here. This blog is meant to be a work in progress. I plan to add posts for every plant I find on our land, identify it, and learn more about it.

I also find that pictures online are limited. I want to take pictures at different times of the year so I can identify it at any time. I am learning as I go, so I expect to change names, categories, etc. as I go along.

I want to try the edible plants as much as possible and will make comments on the taste of the ones I try. Please, research these plants on your own. I am not an expert!!!

As I learn things, I'll also add definitions here.
   Potherb - Herbs used for cooking (in a pot) like kale or spinach.
   Thickener - Used in sauces, soups, and puddings to thicken without changing the taste.
   Astringent - Used to contract the skin cells. Could be used to reduce bleeding in a cut or to make the skin less oily.

   Edible in Label - I've found information saying parts of these plants are edible. Some that I note I've eaten and have not died!
      Unknown in Label - I'm still trying to completely identify it.

My goal is to get this done over the next 5 years. Let's see how long it takes!

No comments:

Post a Comment